Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Are we there yet?

I think as kids, we've probably all said that at least once to our parents or some other adult figure in our lives.  I know growing up, I had no patience.  Zero. Nada.  Nilch.  Nothing.  I didn't like going out to dinner because once I ordered my food, I expected it to be delivered right away (no fast food comments here).  I didn't like waiting, nor did I want to.  To an extent, I'm still like that.  I don't eat out much and I am impatient in many facets of my life.

So this is pretty much what I've been feeling this past week.  I truly believe, you can "hear" all about Ironman training from others all you want, but I don't think it really sets in until you're experiencing it.  People told me it's a lot of training, it takes up a lot of your free time, all you will end up doing is eat, sleep, work & train.  I heard the words, but it didn't register until a few weeks ago.  OMG, all I do on weekends is eat, sleep, prepare for the training, train, clean up after it then recover and go back to bed, just to do it all over again the next day.  No time or energy for anything else, for the most part.  Or I want to do things, but the idea of going to bed early & getting extra sleep usually wins :)

So hence my question "are we there yet"?  Sept 9th can't come soon enough.  I have to think this is normal what I'm feeling?  I can't be the only 1st timer who is getting tired of training?  These weekend workouts honestly, are sort of not fun anymore.  Well, the weekday workouts are, but the long weekend workouts...blah!  I don't want to spend all day working out every weekend.  OK, so the runs don't take me all day, but I think I'm using more energy to run, plus I'm running on tired legs from biking the day before, and therefore, the runs are leaving me more exhausted.  And just when I'm feeling recovered...I have to do it all over again!  And to be honest, last weekend I didn't even run as I'm resting my shin and I was still pooped by the end of the weekend!  I did have fun in Madison with the JHC group last Sunday...maybe because there was a group of us, maybe because I was on the Ironman course, maybe cuz I met some new people.  But to be fair, I hated getting up as early as I had to and leaving my house at 5am...anyone who really knows me knows, I'm a morning workout person but on weekends, not that early!  So the drive there & back sucked, but the group workout rocked.

Really, someone tell me come race day, it WILL be fun.  That it will all pay off in the end and I will actually have fun in this thing they call Ironman. Cuz right now, when most people are excited about the weekend, I'm dreading the long workouts :(  I'm doing them and getting them done, but dreading them.  Yep...are we there yet???


No comments:

Post a Comment