Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hills are my friends...

They make me faster & stronger.  Coach Joe said this 3 years ago on my 1st ride on the Madison Ironman loop.  Boy has that stuck in my head!!  Who would've thought one little phrase could turn into something so powerful for me?!  I seriously find myself saying it over and over as I'm climbing hills.  Thanks Joe...it really does help! 



Last week was my first ride on the Madison loop for this year.  Overall, it wasn't as bad as I had remembered.  Quite possibly, this was because when I rode it last year, from mile 15-40 I rode it with an arm injury which turned out to be a fractured elbow.  So admittedly, last week I was a bit skittish on the downhills and near gravel...but I got in 60 hilly miles.  Yes, 60...one full loop & a mini out-n-back on part of the 2nd loop.  Note...the course is NOT meant to ride backwards...I found a hill on the backside worse than the 3 you know who's!!  It was the only time I verbalized "Oh shit, this really hurts"...The ride went well.  So did the short run after.  Thankfully, I rode the course on Friday before the heat hit...here's to praying for cool weather on Sept 9th!!

And still loving the cadence on the bike computer.  To all who told me last year to get cadence (Coach Jen I specifically remember you chiming in saying YES)...thank you.  I love it!  Nothing like seeing 5mph w/ 48 cadence staring at you while climbing Madison hills!!  With no smaller ring to change down to.  Although I'm convinced somehow the speed is off...convinced.  The bike shop will think I'm crazy though if I bring it back in :(  Seriously though, I think it's a great feature & am so glad I chose to go with it this time.

Sun I had a long trail run.  Found the best place to run trails thanks to my friend Holly!!  The old Meadowdale Speedway...no wonder she loves it so much.  And let's not forget, it is HILLY!  Wow, those were some hills.  Thank you Holly...you've been raving about this place forever & I finally checked it out.  Muncie has a hilly run I'm told so it was practice.  And there too, I kept saying to myself "hills are my friends, they make me stronger & faster".  One can hope!



And my swims...let's just say this, I've finally graduated to the 3,000 meter mark...seems like a whole lotta laps.  One of these days I'm going to figure out how many laps equals 2.4 miles.  So I know I can stop there :) 

Madison is just around the corner.  Why do I have a feeling training has only just begun??

3 comments:

  1. Don't try to calculate the number of laps for 2.4 - it will only make you cry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great perspective!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete